As school leaders we serve the needs of others.
From our “love buckets” we go around filling the needs of the children and the community members we serve.
As we serve others we must remember to stop every once and a while to fill up our "love bucket".
As school leaders we do need to take time to re-new ourselves or we face that dragon of "burn-out".
I think you recognize the sound of an empty love bucket.
Here are some tips to help you fill your love bucket:
- Believe in Abundance. There is enough time, money, energy and love to do what you request from life.
- Keep your signs of abundance close to you. Flowers, colors, sharpened pencils...etc., whatever makes you feel "rich".
- Give thanks daily.
- Keep a "feel good" file.
- Understand what is urgent and important and what is urgent and NOT important.
- Use KISS/KISM Theory. Keep It Simple, Sister! Keep It Simple, Mister!
- Make time for friends and family. Every day.
- Make time for yourself. Every day.
- Get rid of the joyless things in your life. Remember the main sign of normalization is joyful work.
- Don't let your work be your life. Let your life be your work. Isn't that what we are trying to teach to the children? If our work doesn't bring us joy, then we know we are off the path. How to fix it? Observe.
- Use, don't lose, your sense of humor.
- Feeling down? Move Around. Feeling great? Meditate.
Take time, today, to fill up your love bucket.
The world needs what you have to give.